The scrap basket in my studio was overflowing, so I decided I'd better start doing something with it. I also happened to have a bowl full of lavender blossoms from a bouquet that Jim brought home a few weeks ago. (When the flowers are dried, just roll them between your fingers and the blossoms come right off.) I put the two together and made sachets for my dresser. I think they're about the most frou frou thing on the planet, but what's a few frills more or less in an underwear drawer?
Sachets are made just like bean bags. Two squares of fabric put party-side together, then stitched around the edge, leaving an opening in one side to turn it right-side out. After filling, just stitch up the opening. Ta da! The fun part is choosing fabric and embellishing them. I made mine essentially like 4 inch quilt squares, then raided my bin of baby doll lace to add to the edges (The stuff I call "doll lace" is the cheap stuff sold by the roll in the dollar bins at most fabric stores, as opposed to expensive dressmakers lace which is sold by the yard.).
I've also been trying to tackle the bin full of clothes that I've set aside for alterations.
This is a very simple bias cut slip-dress that I got in Paris a few years ago. It's super soft and lightweight. It makes a perfect summer nightgown, except that the straps were just a smidge too short. I chopped off the old straps, and replaced them with satin ribbons. I considered buying adjustable straps at the fabric store, but ribbon is a lot cheaper. If I ever need to make them longer or shorter, I'll just replace them with new ribbons.
This is a skirt that I'm happy to say looks just like it did when I bought it, despite the fact that I picked off half the waistband and ripped out the side seams from hip to hem. I bought it on super-duper clearance for less than a dollar even though it wasn't my size. I liked the shape, color, and details, so I figured I would give altering it a try. Because the front pockets meet the side seams, I couldn't just pinch in the sides. I had to take in the excess from just the back piece of each side seam. And to keep the silhouette the same, I took in the same width along the entire length of both sides. Because there is no vent (slit), I was a little worried that my alterations would minimize the sweep (circumference at the hem) to the point of being uncomfortable. I've found though that since the skirt now sits at my waist instead of my hips, and therefore hits above my knee not below, the narrow sweep is not an issue.
I'm sure that's more than you care to know about sewing, but thanks for pretending